Monday, June 25, 2012

Write to someone you love.

It is very common to find someone who gets the autographed picture bug writing to anyone and everyone. Sadly, often they find when they receive their autograph in the mail they do not know who it is that has replied. That is, they don't recognize the picture let alone the handwriting or the signature!

Now, there are collectors and then there are collectors. True collectors don't write to strangers. Rather, they write to people who have meant something to them during the course of their life. That is, people whom they know. In my own case I happen to write to women I idolize or men I find incredibly attractive. Either way, when I write them I let them know exactly what it is I love about their body of work (or just plain body!) and how it has influenced me throughout the course of my own life.

Sometimes it's the character an actor or actress plays that I love. I've discovered on a number of occasions that I LOVE a given character but care very little for the actor or actress who plays that character; Buffy and Buck Rogers come to mind. Then there are occasions when I've discovered the actor or actress who plays a character (or series of characters) is the true object of my affection; Gordon Thomson, Piper Laurie, Pauline Collins, Lee Majors and Maggie Smith come to mind. Then there are times when I've realized that the actor or actress feels uncomfortable with their status and yet feels indebted somehow to the legend they have created and truly care about what legacy is left behind. Because of that, they go a little further to show their appreciation. In this instance I think of people I've contacted like Esther Williams, Joan Rivers, John Travolta, Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford.

When you open up that envelope and you see what is inside you can glimpse -if only briefly- the true personality that was behind a dedication or, sometimes, just a signature on a photograph.

This series of dynamics which is described above takes place when a fan letter is sent out and when the requested autographed picture is returned in the self-addressed-stamped-envelope.

Some stars care about their fans. Sadly, some don't. The ones that care will go a little extra mile to show you they appreciate adoration, or kind words, or maybe just strolling down memory lane with them. Regardless, the stars that care will give you a little extra something. Even if that little extra something is only sincere gratitude. Sometimes they actually write a letter back, or send one of their own pictures along with yours, or give you such an awesome dedication you are going to frame that picture and stare at it for the rest of your life.

When I write someone, whomever that might be, I always pour my heart into the letter. To do that I explain what they have meant to me during my own travels in life. Sometimes I explain what a given movie, or TV show gave me at a time when I needed to express joy, or tears, or laughter or anger. That's what actors do: they express feelings. I think it is appreciated when you acknowledge their skill.

I will never write to someone I care nothing for. Today, I'm slowly falling in love with a host of brand new TV shows and I'm slowly acquainting myself with a bunch of up and coming young actors and actresses in movies who now influence the way I view and experience life in the modern era. After all, far from Grover's Corners, the 21st century can feel alien and sterile at times.

Now, writing younger actors is different than what I'm used to. I might think Jennifer Lawrence or Amanda Seyfried are awe inspiring, yet I don't idolize them. I love the characters they have created and the trajectories their careers are taking. Following that same train of thought, I might think Justin Hartley and Chris Hemsworth are super hot, yet, I'm not attracted to them!

Back in Grover's Corners we used to call this situation, "The Middle Trap." That is, you are still too young to think old, but way to old to think young!

Whatever you do, when you write a celebrity, pour your heart into it. Whether typed or handwritten (both work but handwritten is best!) speak with sincerity and feeling. Be kind, be incredibly polite, but also explain the reason why she or he means so much to you.

Always keep this in mind: Letters still mean a lot. Emails are a dime a dozen! Half the world cannot afford postage and the other half that can does not want to pay for it! Because of that, a self-addressed-stamped-envelope can go a very long way. If writing outside your own country include IRCs (International reply coupons) that are accepted by any post office and sold by the USPS. They will allow for someone outside the U.S. to purchase local stamps to reply to YOUR letter. If you truly care about that person than go the extra mile to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment