Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Richard Chamberlain

As a child growing up and going to school in Grover's Corners, I would wait with anticipation for the bell to ring at 3:30 pm sharp. I would count the seconds from about 2:30 pm onward. Once the bell rang, I grabbed my books and ran out the front doors of the building. From there I would run through the woods and straight to my grand-mother's house who lived only about a half mile from Grover's Corners Elementary. There were two reasons for the rush. The first reason was Dark Shadows. The second reason was Dr. Kildare.

The year was 1975. At the time Dark Shadows was played in reruns which ran in 30 minute segments every afternoon from Monday through Friday. Dr. Kildare was also in reruns at the time and the show started at 4:00 pm. If I ran extremely fast I could reach my grand-mother's house just as the opening credits (with the eerie music) were ending. I would position myself cross-legged on the floor before the television and would not move until Dark Shadows was over. The moment the show ended I would jump up, grab a PBJ sandwich, a glass of milk and run back to the TV where Dr. Kildare was beginning to play.

Though I loved Dark Shadows with all my heart, it was Dr. Kildare I could not and would not do without.

Now, this may come as a shock, I know, but I loved Mr. Richard Chamberlain. In my school note-books I used to write "Mr. and Mrs. Richard Chamberlain" and I would draw little hearts, stars, and clovers around the names.

For an impressionable young boy growing up in a small town the thought of a big city filled with Dr. Kildares (and especially Richard Chamberlains!) gave my heart palpitations.

Such is the mind of an 8 year old. Of course I grew out of all that childish nonsense. Well, that is until I was 16. The year was 1983 and a little mini-series called The Thorn Birds swept the nation. Needless to say I was back to writing "Mr. and Mrs. Richard Chamberlain" and I would draw little hearts, stars, and clovers around the names all over again!

When I wrote Richard Chamberlain recently I explained the exact same story as I have written here today. I had sent Mr. Chamberlain a host of pictures (about 9 or 10, more or less) of him. The bulk of the pictures had him shirtless, or wielding a sword or cradling a rifle, perhaps, astride a horse? I think. I was so nervous writing the letter and getting the pictures and the envelope just so that the memory is a blur. (I may have even spritzed a little lavender cologne on the envelope, but I really can't be certain.)

It only took about 2 to 3 weeks to receive my reply. Mr. Chamberlain did not sign any of my pictures (I can't imagine why) but he did dedicate and sign one of his own. I also kept the envelope. It could be my imagination, but from the envelope I detected just a hint of lilacs! Hmm

Mr. Chamberlain will be remembered for a great many things. He has contributed so much to film and television, and only recently, to social awareness too. It all makes me think, was there something I recognized in Richard Chamberlain all those years ago that made my little 8 year old heart race whenever I saw Dr. Kildare?

I may never have the answer to that question. Still, I do have my autographed picture of Mr. Richard Chamberlain to keep me company while I continue to ponder the possible answers to the question.


2 comments:

  1. Love your blog! Hope you will start it up again!
    I am also a South Floridian and was a huge 4:00 p.m. Dark Shadows fan back in the day as well!!
    I share your admiration for the gorgeous Richard Chamberlain. Two years ago got to see him live onstage in the stage production of, hard to believe, The Exorcist, in the title role, with none other than Brooke Shields in the Ellen Burstyn role...

    Anyway, thought I would say hi! I often see your comments at Le Cinema Dreams and Poseidon's Underworld.
    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Chris. Thank you so much. Your comment was the one bright spot of the past few days. I had been nursing my 16 year old feline-daughter, Endora. She had been bitten by a brown recluse. She passed on yesterday morning. I have three other cats and two dogs but she was the one that was "my little girl." She was one of a kind and has left a big hole in my heart.

    I get the feeling we are about the same age if you recall afternoons with "Dark Shadows." I would love to talk some more. I've made two great friends through Poseidon's Depths. I would love the opportunity to make another friend.

    Feel free to write me at wonderfelix4ever@gmail.com

    I'm having a hard time right now concentrating on much of anything but would welcome the opportunity to converse with a like minded soul. And, from the looks of your profile we seem to have a great many things in common to converse about.

    Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete